#6 [#CNPH45YEARS] China and the Philippines Friendship

Hi!

    Today, I will write about my experience with the first art contest that I’ve joined, the #CNPH45YEARS Hand-in-hand contest. ♡´・á´—・`♡ Honestly, I was a little reluctant to take part because we all know how the current pandemic has made the world hate China and its government, but as an artist, I thought I could do something significant - to contribute something positive between the two countries! 

    My country, the Philippines, has always negatively seen Mainland China as a mean country because of territorial disputes, but such negative political topics should not overshadow the positive things that China has contributed to my country!

My official entry

    I borrowed these characters from the anime called Hetalia and alter them a little. The female (Maria) is the human form of the Philippines, and the male (Yao) is the human form of China. The man looks older because China is an ancient country. Also, if you looked closely at the picture, the alignment of the stars is very similar to the flags. ❤ And they are dressed in traditional clothes - which are also similar to the flag colors, but I put dragons on Yao’s clothes; because those are symbols of power and China is one of the global superpowers next to the United States and Russia. The Philippines is wearing simpler clothes because she is not that powerful, however; I put some flowers on her sash to describe her purity, and she was wearing a cross that symbolizes her loyalty to the Catholic church. We all know how religion has a massive influence in the Philippines.

    China is also wearing a jade trinket with a yin-yang, an ancient Chinese symbol. Jade is a popular gemstone in that country while Yin-Yang is two halves that together complete wholeness. For me, the Philippines is Yin and China is Yang. Both countries are chasing after each other as they seek a new balance with each other. We can also see the trinket behind the lotus-like buttons. Well, the lotus is one of the most significant flowers in Chinese culture.

    China has a red tattoo - a Chinese (traditional) script “Ai” which roughly means “love”. Red is an important color in Chinese culture, and we can see the tattoo on his neck because the veins beneath it are connected to his heart.

    There’s a red string because they will remain next to each other (neighbors) until the end of time. Both countries are lovers or siblings (it depends on the viewer’s perspective). The wave line symbolizes the mere sea between them.



    First, when I joined this contest (and won), I did not expect a ceremony and a meeting with Ambassador Huang Xilian. It surprised me to receive an invitation, and also; it was my first time seeing my art printed and framed. Ambassador Huang Xilian signed the back of my framed artwork and told me many pleasant words. I was so happy that I put this artwork in my study area. (ᗒᗨᗕ)

A cool photo with Ambassador Huang Xilian!

A snapshot of FB post

    Second, there was media exposure with China Central Television! I was surprised because it was my very first media interview, and I was not even prepared at all! However, I gave in because such things do not occur typically in daily life (because I’m not a celebrity haha). After the following week, the interview was finally published, and I did not finish watching it because I just hate my accent lol. (ᗒᗨᗕ)

Snapshots from the interview!

BTS lol. XD
    Third, it was my first time visiting an Embassy, and it stunned me at how amazing it looked! On the ground floor, there’s a small gallery that depicted Chinese cultures like vases, silks, and paintings. The second floor is the office and they restricted it to non-personnel.
The Hall (Chinese Embassy-Manila. 4896 Pasay Road,. Dasmarinas Village,. Makati City,. Metro Manila)







A decorative niche

    The day after the contest, many Chinese sent me a friend request on Facebook. I even searched my name on google and was surprised to see my photo in The Manila Times. How cool!

    But I’ve also received a lot of hate from the netizens because of the art subject - the close ties between the Philippines and Mainland China. Some people see it as a toxic relationship instead of a friendly one.

In the beginning, I thought it would be just a typical online contest where if you won, they will just send the prize to your doorsteps. But I was so wrong. And this is one of the unforgettable moments in my life!
Me and my art