#32 Huion HS64 review!

Happy Halloween!

    It was a busy week at work, and I was longing for this weekend since Monday started. Sunday is the only time that I have for myself, as working six days a week (plus OT) was exhausting after all!

    A week ago, I ordered a pen tablet for my digital art activities. I used to be a traditional artist, but I find it costly, so I decided to go green and be paperless. Upon switching, I used to draw on my phone using a universal stylus and the experience feels very traditional, as I could fixate my eyes on the screen. The only thing that I didn’t like about that setup is the limitation of the workspace ratio! I tend to zoom in and out to draw the perfect lines!

    I wrote about that universal stylus a year ago (read it here), and it was a pretty fun experience. After using it for over two years, I purchased a pen tablet so I can work on my laptop. It took me a week to look for something that is within my budget and perfect for first-time users - and I purchased Huion HS64!

Got this from Lazada. It took over a week for me to receive the parcel because it came from Mainland China.

What's inside the box? :D

    Right out of the box, the HS64 doesn’t disappoint. The packaging is pretty nice for its price point and it comes with all the needed accessories. The tablet’s size is roughly 7.87x6.54in with a working surface area of 6.3x4in, which is still compact, while still having a sizable working area. It is also light enough to slip into a laptop sleeve! There are four fully customizable quick-access buttons at the top. It was very easy within the Huion software to set what I desired for each button. The working surface is smooth and quite prone to finger smudges but could be cleaned.

    The pen is similar in design to most tablet stylus with a wider taper where the hand grips it. It doesn’t need to be charged, which is a convenient factor!

Surprisingly, it comes with a free glove!

The glove made me uncomfortable somehow but it was designed to protect the surface of the tablet.

Using the pen on the working surface felt difficult at first because of the lack of display. The usage felt similar to a mouse, but the surface represents the screen area. Despite with small screen size, the pen and surface connection was super responsive and fluid. Huion HS64’s surface comes with a pressure sensitivity of 8192 levels and its pen with a resolution of 5080 LPI. It also has a decent tilt range, making it possible to create varied shading styles.

Testing the pressure sensitivity!

    I tested this out on both my ASUS TUF A15 laptop which runs Windows 10 and my Huawei P30 lite which runs Android 10, and the HS64 worked smoothly by just connecting the intended cables. I tested it out on Medibang Paint (which app I was using for several years now) and it has no issues. And oh, using the tablet on mobile, it only uses the left half of the working surface and frankly, I found it very annoying. I prefer to draw on my phone with my old universal stylus instead during the line art stage then will use HS64 during the coloring process. I find it difficult to draw line art using HS64.

Every artist has their own preferred sitting position when they’re drawing, and I enjoy using my HS64 on my lap so I find the custom keys to be really useful.

My study area for now!

PROS

  • The overall size and weight
  • Pen sensitivity and performance
  • Price
  • Customizable buttons

CONS

  • Only one type of nib
  • No Bluetooth connectivity and the wires made my desk messy.
  • It doesn't work with CS6, maybe because my copy isn't genuine

Conclusion

    If you are looking for something affordable and light to take on the road with you, then this is a great buy! The sensitivity is on par with much more expensive devices and it has all the basic starting needs for digital art. I might consider buying the bigger tablets someday, but for a beginner like me, this is already a great tool to start my digital art adventures! (เน‘˘︶˘เน‘)