#22 One Magical Evening

 

600 dpi on A4 size format
Hi, I'm back!

    So here’s new artwork from me — the second part of my “One Magical Series”. Well, I never really planned to make this magical Romanov series all along, but it was really fun to do so. With that being said, you can expect another part of this series soon. :)

    Like the previous art, (see link), this was also heavily inspired by a vintage photograph attached below.


    While I was creating this, I found that the tree in the reference photo was a little boring - so I put a mushroom house. :D It reminded me of my childhood and my fascination with fairies, which goes along well with the characters' ages.

    Also, the grass field in the reference is too plain to look at. That made me think that I should set my art in the evening because I wanted to put fireflies and make everything magical. I'm aware that my palette was bright for the night scene, but it was difficult to create a dark atmosphere without making the colors look dull. As an artist, I always wanted my brush strokes to be appreciated.

    There was a rabbit next to Maria because the animal fit her personality very well. Many books described Grand Duchess Maria Nikolaevna to be a flirtatious woman yet; she was also a thoughtful person, which I reflected on the rabbit’s expression. Next, there was a raccoon beside Anastasia because the animal's most recognizable trait is its mischievous personality. It is important to remember that Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna can adapt to different situations when she was still alive. During her last days in Yekaterinburg, she still found many reasons to be optimistic despite her family’s situation.

    Special thanks to IG user @mrstallmadge for the translation of the signage. It says, “On this side is the fairy house / На этой стороне дом феи”. She was the same person who helped me with Russian translations before. Her previous username was @_nyusenkas.

P.S. I was already done with this art yesterday, but was feeling lazy to write a blog about it.