#41 June 2022 New Architects' Oath-Taking + Post Happenings!

Hi again! It’s Alyssa, and I’m writing another blog this Sunday morning.

    Today, I’m going to write about my oath-taking experience, which I was supposed to do within the week when the event happened. I will share some of my insights, the dress that I wore, and the total accumulated price for this thing to happen, so all the future oath-takers will have an idea if they cross this blog, lol. So, if you’re a student or an aspiring professional, keep positive, you will pass your licensure exams too!

    To those who are wondering, I am practicing architecture in the Philippines. I studied way back on June 2012, and architecture here is a five-year-old bachelor’s program. However, it took me six years to finish it and I graduated on May 2018. As per our law, every architecture graduates have to undergo a two-year diversified apprenticeship under the guidance of a seasoned architect who will be the “mentor”. Not all professions in the Philippines have the same required training as us, but I have read on the internet that even architecture graduates abroad are also required to do an apprenticeship. Well, maybe because it is an old profession, and it entails a lot of responsibilities. Fast forward, I was supposed to take the licensure exam on June 2020 but we all know, the pandemic happened so maybe some goals are not meant to happen.

    So when I passed (in one take :D), I was so happy. Everyone around me was delighted that even my paternal grandmother ordered a large serving of pancit so all our neighborhood will celebrate my success. Funny, right? What’s even more amazing was my other grandmother from my mother’s side who sent me money to buy my Filipiniana–a traditional Filipino dress.

    So… after receiving the money, the first thing that I did was to visit the Kultura shop. The brand is known for Barong and Filipiniana ready-to-wear pieces, but quite expensive. However, the sizes are too big for your average Filipina! It took me three visits to pick what I will wear on my special day! At the SM Megamall branch, there were only three fitting rooms! The shopping experience wasn’t great because of the queue, and the staff did not organize the clothes by size. Imagine you have to check all the clothes to see your perfect fit, it was frustrating!

    We went to the SM Department Store instead and were so glad that the experience wasn’t as horrible compared to the Kultura boutique. The clothes are well organized and there are many fitting rooms available!

At first, I wanted this overall white version, but it felt like I will be attending a wedding ceremony.

I ended up choosing this black dress and light paรฑuelo (shawl) instead because I thought the inner black dress was more versatile for other occasions.

    For my shoes, I bought the last affordable heels at the Parisian line (the last pair on the display rack). I also bought a matching facemask with a yard and a handkerchief. But I did not really use the facemask at my oath-taking event, because eer… it was so big for my face!

I forgot to take a close-up photo of my shoes.

Price (for the attire only)

For the make-up, I availed the home service of a young, talented artist, Glyde Napalla. She is very prompt on time and professional. Her services are not that cheap, but not that expensive as well. I paid a total of Php 2500 for airbrush makeup (including the artist’s transportation to my house) since the event will last until the afternoon. I will definitely book her again.

Natural make-up. I did not avail her hair services because I had it straightened months before.

    During the day, we left the house at 10 am because the call time was 11 am, but the event will begin at 1 pm. Imagine, how long you should prepare for that haha! Luckily, we ate a heavy breakfast, however; we forgot to bring water to the Cultural Center of the Philippines Complex. Tip 1: Don’t forget to bring water.

Oath taking tickets were so expensive. Php 1350 for the inductee + Php 750 (per guest) :O

Philippine International Convention Center

    The line at the entrance hall was so long, and it was sunny. A big struggle. The organizers should also consider the vendors outside who sell corsage since there was a free one inside. Tip 2: Don’t entertain those vendors and bring an umbrella.

Some photos inside the reception hall.


    Around 12 pm, I started to get hungry so my Papa looked for snacks at the complex but two sandwiches with two bottles of water cost him 300 pesos! So expensive! Tip 3: Bring your own snacks like biscuits.

The program started at exactly 1 pm and ended at 5 pm.

Some photos inside the event hall.



With my classmates from Rizal Technological University!

    Overall, it was a memorable experience because the moment I took my oath, I suddenly looked back on all the hard work that I did. I know that learning doesn’t end up in acquiring the license and earning the title “Architect” in front of your name! It is the same as other professions, such as doctors, attorneys, engineers, etc.

With the proud parents!

    My parents were so proud of me, of course! I would also like to conclude that I felt that the oath-taking was more fulfilling than the day of my graduation.

Foods that we bought, my so-called "handa" haha.

Gifts from my love <3

Ar. Christianna Alyssa T. Palentinos, uap

The day we got our IDs (license). My friends and I went to PRC Lucena for initial registration. Php 1350 for the fee of initial registration + travel expenses.

During my induction at UAP Pasig Chapter, I wore the same attire.