#67 The Person Who Was Always Optional

 I think I have spent most of my life feeling invisible.

Not necessarily unwanted.
Just… optional.

When my birthday comes and passes, it often feels like the day quietly slips away with it. Sometimes even the people who have known me since I was a child forget. There were no grand celebrations waiting for me, no room full of people saying we're glad you were born.

I was simply there.

Existing, but rarely celebrated.
Present, but rarely remembered.

I learned early how to make myself easy to have around.
I adjust. I understand. I wait.
I tell myself I shouldn't ask for too much.

Perhaps that's why being forgotten hurts more than I admit.

Because somewhere inside me is still that little girl wondering what it feels like to be someone's reason to celebrate.

And then there is this dog.

Bailey.

She doesn't know about birthdays or invitations, family circles or who chose whom. She doesn't understand the quiet ache of wondering whether you're truly wanted.

She just knows me.

She follows me.
She sleeps beside me.
She rests her head on my arm as if it was made specifically for her.
She looks for me.

And somehow, in a world where I have so often felt like an optional person, I am not optional to her.

I am home.

She doesn't need a special occasion to remind me that I matter. She doesn't need a calendar to remember me.

She simply stays.

Maybe that's why I love her so much.

Because when I feel invisible to everyone else, there is one little creature who makes me feel seen without ever saying a word.

And maybe, for now, that's enough.

Maybe I don't need to force myself into every circle.
Maybe I don't need to spend my whole life proving that I deserve a place.

Maybe somewhere in this enormous world, I already have one.

It just has four paws.